beATL loves when Followers help finding Belgian-related events! Thank you Beetle Ken for the tip!
The Drop is a new crime drama based on a screenplay from Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone), directed by our Sint-Truiden’s’ native, Michael R. Roskam and starring our darling Matthias Schoenaerts as Eric Deeds! So no doubt, beATL has to go to the movie! Our movie night is Tuesday September 16th – see details below – followed by some drinks nextdoor.
Flemish actor Matthias Schoenaerts got his start on stage acting opposite his father, Julien Schoenaerts, in The Little Prince and made his screen debut in Stijn Coninx’s Oscar-nominated Daens. His acclaimed lead performance in director Michael Roskam’s Bullhead (Academy Award nominee for Best Foreign Film, 2012) is what brought him international acclaim. In 2012, he appeared alongside Marion Cotillard in Jacques Audiard’s Rust and Bone. Last year, Schoenaerts contributed lead performances to three films : Alan Rickman’s A Little Chaos, which co-starred Kate Winslet, Thomas Vinterberg’s Far from the Madding Crow, which co-starred Carey Mulligan, and Saul Dibb’s Suite francaise, which starred Michelle Williams and Kristin Scott-Thomas. Schoenaerts will next be seen in Eric Van Looy’s English language version of Loft and Blood Ties directed by Guillaume Canet.
Michael R. Roskam was born as Michaël Reynders. Roskam is his mother’s family name and the “R.” refers to his father’s family name, Reynders. Roskam attended St. Lucas Academy of Fine Arts in Brussels, where he studied painting and contemporary art, and the Binger Film Institute in Amsterdam where he graduated in 2005 with a master degree in script writing and development. After several jobs as a journalist for Flemish newspaper De Morgen and a copywriter, he wrote a script for a short film titled Haun in 2002. This was followed by Carlo (2004), another short film which won the Audience Award at Leuven International Short Film Festival. In 2005, he made The One Thing To Do and in 2007 Today is Friday, based on an Ernest Hemingway book, that was filmed in Los Angeles. He made his feature film debut with Bullhead which was released in 2011.
- When – Tuesday September 16th
- Showtime – 7.05 PM
- Where – Landmark Midtown Art Cinema | 931 Monroe Dr NE – C212, Atlanta, GA 30308 (located in the Midtown Promenade Center)
- Meeting Point – INSIDE the theater, around the door of the auditorium (theater 3) where the movie will be played.
- Cost – $11 for general admission; $8 Senior (62+); $8.75 Student (Mon-Thurs only). Buy online to skip the lines but note that there will be a non-refundable service charge of $1 per ticket.
- Movie: 1 hr. 46 min – R-rated movie!
- Parking & Directions: free within the Midtown Promenade Center
- The nearest MARTA train station is the Midtown Station (on the RED and GOLD lines), located on 10th Street 1.5 miles from the theater. From there, both the #36 and the #99 MARTA buses stop near the Midtown Promenade which is located at the intersection of 8th Street and Monroe Drive
- Watch the Trailer