The Great War in Broad Outlines, a traveling exhibition commemorating World War I and honoring the centennial anniversary of the U.S. entry into the War, opens in Atlanta on March 6, 2017 at Atlanta History Center | 130 West Paces Ferry Road NW, Atlanta, GA 30305. Told in more than 30 panels, the exhibition chronicles many events including the efforts of Herbert Hoover, as head of the U.S. Food Administration, in providing humanitarian relief to those starving in wartime Belgium.
The Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has selected Atlanta as the only Southeastern venue to host the exhibition that honors the human sacrifice of more than 116,000 U.S. military in the “war to end all wars.”
This exhibition has been produced by the Belgian National Institute for Veterans and Victims of War and sponsored by the Consulate General of Belgium in Atlanta, Honorary Consulate of Belgium in Miami and UPS. Co-sponsored by the European and Eurasian Studies Program, Miami-Florida Jean Monnet Center of Excellence, Department of History Department of Politics and International Relations and Honors College.
In the sixth event in Global Atlanta’s Consular Conversations Series on Jan. 20, 2017, the editorial team of Global Atlanta will be interviewing Belgium’s Consul General in Atlanta, William de Baets.
Topics of discussion will likely include:
- Objectives of the consulate, which covers multiple Southern states
- World War I centennial celebrations
- Role of Belgium in Europe’s future
- Belgian investment and manufacturing in the South
- Transatlantic security and alliances in the age of Trump and a fractious EU
- Belgium 101: A look at the political structure of the country
- Educational exchanges between Georgia and Belgium
- Catered light lunch with soft drinks
- One-on-one conversation with the Global Atlanta editorial team, followed by moderated audience Q&A
- Discussion covered by Global Atlanta and published in a later article
About the speaker
William De Baets was named consul general in Atlanta in April 2016. He brings to this posting 16 years of diplomatic experience acquired in Ivory Coast, Venezuela, Ethiopia, Brussels, where he headed the Foreign Affairs Crisis Center and B-FAST, and Washington, DC. In Washington, he focused on political-military affairs under the leadership of Ambassador Verbeke. Before joining the diplomatic service, William De Baets served 9 years in the Belgian Navy, both on board and in headquarters.
Or read this beATL article: meet our new Consul General
- When – Friday January 20, 2017 from 12 pm – 1.30 pm
- Where – Miller and Martin PLLC | 1180 West Peachtree St. NW – Suite 2100 , Atlanta, GA 30309
- Fees – Registration With Parking Validation: $20 | General Registration: $15
- Registration – follow the link